Konpuku-ji Garden consists of two parts, the lower temple and the Basho-an higher up the hill. The temple's zen garden is a classic rock garden with many satsuki rhododendrons, making early summer the best time to visit this temple. Near the entrance of the garden on the right lies a small tsukubai basin. A small path goes around the back of the garden and climbs a slope covered with satsuki to reach Basho-an. Konpuku-ji was built in 864 by a priest named Jikaku but was later destroyed then rebuilt by another priest named Tesshu. Around 1670, the famous poet Basho stopped at this temple for a few nights, and stayed in a small hut of the temple, which was later renamed Basho-an.