The Negishi Horse Racing Grandstand is one of the most famous of the abandoned ruins in Japan and a popular urban explorer destination. The Emperor Meiji ordered the construction of this horse racecourse in 1866, so an English architect was commissioned to design it so tough that it withstood the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923. After 1945 it was used as US headquarters of communications during the occupation. It is located near facilities of the US Fleet Activities and consequently the entire area is heavily guarded and monitored by surveillance cameras. Negishi Heights was returned to Japan in 1983 and it became a public park, with Negishi Horse Grandstand cordoned off as a kind of curiosity of the park, sectioned off by barbed wire fences.