Tamazato Garden is officially known as Gardens of Tamazato Residence. Naroiki Shimadzu built the villa called Tamazato Residence here in 1835 - the original villa was much larger than what is left today, as most of the structure was burnt down during two wars. Today only the gardens, a tea house and the gate remain.The upper garden has an ornamental pond that can be viewed from the residence teahouse room. The lower garden is circuit style allowing people to enjoy the view from any point around the garden. Tamazato Garden was created at the end of the Edo period, when strolling/landscape gardens were in fashion. Altogether, the whole garden is made up of the of the Shoin-Tei Inner Garden and the Kaiyushiki Teien back garden beside the tea ceremony room. Elements include large stones, bridges and walkways are set around the pond as its center. Altogether there are nine stone lanterns of various shapes and sizes. Although stone lanterns are almost always present in a Japanese garden, usually there is not this much variety. Tamazato Garden was designated as a national scenic beauty site by the Japanese government in July, 2007.