Konpuku-ji was built in 864 by a priest named Jikaku. Around 1670, the famous poet Matsuo Basho stopped at this temple for a few nights, and stayed in a small building in the temple compound, which was later renamed Basho-an. The temple zen garden is a classic rock garden with many satsuki rhododendrons, making early summer the best time to visit. Near the entrance of the garden on the right lies a small tsukubai water basin similar to the one of Ryoan-ji and features the same four characters. A small path goes around the back of the garden and climbs a slope covered with satsuki to reach Basho-an.