Image 1 of 1
Komyozenji was founded in 1273 during the Kamakura Period by Tetsugyu Enshin a nobleman of the Sugiwara family who in later life became a follower of the Zen priest Enni. He had studied Zen in China and on his return founded Tofukuji in Kyoto. The stone garden in the front of the temple consists of raked gravel and fifteen stones arranged to form the kanji character for light, a reference to Buddhas halo. Komyozenji's rear garden incorporates plants and moss along with stones and gravel representing water and land features. Komyozenji is one of the highlights of any visit to Daizafu.