75. Tabira Church 田平天主堂 - The history of Tabira began with French missionary Emile Raguet who in 1886 purchased two acres of wilderness at his own expense and arranged to settle Japanese christian families on his land. The same year, Marc-Marie de Rotz bought more land and sent more families to live nearby. Eventually the number of the settlers increased and in 1914 Japanese priest Nakata Tokichi raised funds for a formal church with the parishioners helping in its construction. Tabira Church is distinctive in its three story central tower protruding from the front with an octagonal dome belfry. The building faces the Hirado Strait and has been designated as an important cultural asset by the Japanese government.