Gumyoji Temple is one of the oldest temples in Yokohama. The main deity in this temple is called Gumyoji Kannon. Gumyoji Kannon temple is number 14 in the 33 Kannon temples of the Kanto pilgrimage circuit. Hondo - the main worship hall at Gumyoji was built during the Heian period and was officially opened in 1044. The Kannon statue was carved when the original Hondo was built. Because of its historical significance this statue is designated as an important cultural asset of the Japan. At the main entrance of the temple are Jizo statues. Gumyoji belongs to the Koyasan Shingon sect of Buddhism.