Kiyosumi Teien Garden was the site of the residence of the Edo Period business magnate, Kinokuniya Bunzaemon. Later it became the residence of the Edo of the Lord of Sekiyado castle, Shimofusa-no-kuni the period when the basic form of the garden came into existence. In 1878, Iwasaki Yataro, chose this property to use a garden for the entertainment of important guests. After the design and construction phases ended, the garden opened in 1880 under the name of "Fukagawa Shimbokuen." In later years, the waters of the Sumida River were brought into the grounds to make the pond. Hills and waterless waterfalls were constructed and famous rocks from all over Japan were brought in to embellish the garden. The garden was completed in the Meiji Period and developed into a famous strolling garden centered around a large pond.