Shoden Eigen-in is a sub-temple of Kennin-ji. At the time of foundation, Shoden Eigen-in was two separate main temples: Shoden-in and Eigen-an. Shoden-in Temple was established in 1264 by the Zen priest, Gio Shonin. The temple was restored in the fifteenth century by Oda Urakusai, a student of the tea master, Sen-no-Rikyu. Oda Urakusai practiced tea ceremony at the temple and for that purpose built a detached teahouse named Jo-an. Eigen-an Temple was established in 1346 by the Zen priest, Mugai Ninko. This temple also was patronized by Japanís military leaders. The two temples were merged into one by the statesman Hosokawa Moritatsu. The temple formed from the merger was named Shoden Eigen-in. Shoden Eigen-in is famous for the artistry of the templeís partition paintings, for Jo-an teahouse, and for its beautiful garden. The garden is only open on special occasions, usually during April and November for sakura and momiji viewing.