Image 1 of 1

sisters-st-paul-2.jpg

Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
Sisters of St Paul Statue in Dumaguete, often called the "Sisters Statue". Seven Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres, set sail from Saigon and arrived in Dumaguete, southern Philippines in 1904. Their mission was to nurture the faith of the predominantly Catholic population recently freed from 377 years of Spanish rule but was then prey to the intense proselytizing campaign of Protestants as well as patriotic influences of the Philippine Independent Church. Starting their missionary work under extreme conditions of poverty and enormous cultural difficulties, they nevertheless proved to be excellent nurses and educators. The first Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres in the Philippines opened the first Paulinian School in Dumaguete Negros Oriental in 1904.
Copyright
©John Lander
Image Size
5401x3600 / 7.2MB
Contained in galleries
Dumaguete Images
Sisters of St Paul Statue in Dumaguete, often called the "Sisters Statue".  Seven Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres, set sail from Saigon and arrived in Dumaguete, southern Philippines in 1904. Their mission was to nurture the faith of the predominantly Catholic population recently freed from 377 years of Spanish rule but was then prey to the intense proselytizing campaign of Protestants as well as patriotic influences of the Philippine Independent Church. Starting their missionary work under extreme conditions of poverty and enormous cultural difficulties, they nevertheless proved to be excellent nurses and educators.  The first Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres in the Philippines opened the first Paulinian School in Dumaguete Negros Oriental in 1904.