The convent of the Sto. Niño de Cebu was founded by Fr. Andres de Urdaneta in 1565, the very day the Legazpi expedition arrived in the island. When Legaspi and his men planned the urbanization of the city, they allotted a place for the church and the convent of San Agustin where the Santo Niño image had been found. The church has always been the Sanctuary of the Sto. Niño, under the custody of the Augustinians.