Toji-in was founded in 1338 by Lord Ashikaga as a family temple, under the supervision of priest Soseki Muso who was then one of the most famous landscape gardeners. The garden of Toji-in is one of the few surviving gardens designed by Soseki. The main garden is divided in two parts. The western one, called the "lotus pond" near the temple buildings and composed around a pond. Above the pond garden is Seiren-tei teahouse.